5 simple ways to Feng Shui your office space
By Aga Karas & Raquel Mayorga
We recently had Feng Shui consultant, Aga Karas assess our studio space. Feng Shui is the study of how to arrange your environment based on Ch’i (energy flow), to improve the quality of living (and work) spaces. At Gettliffe Architecture, our main objective is to create an inviting, comfortable, balanced and harmonious atmosphere for both clients and our team.
From Aga’s study, we discovered new ways to enrich our workspace and affirmation that we were already on the right track. Here are a few of the Feng Shui lessons we learned that could also help improve your workspaces:
- Feature signage: A prominent and visible business name and logo helps visitors locate your entrance – the first impression of your business. When a business is easy to find, clients are more likely to arrive at the destination feeling ready and relaxed. Moreover, smooth arrivals pave the way for smooth business transactions.
- Express your mission statement: You are what you focus on. Having a prominent reminder of what you do helps keep your business’ purpose clear, the team on the same track, and reminds clients what your work is about. For instance, the poster of Gettliffe Architecture’s mission statement placed on the right side of the front door adds a sense of purpose to the space.
- Keep spaces clutter free: In order to learn, collaborate and create, it is important to feel calm and grounded. Neat and organized environments that support movement and open-mindedness are key. Consider placing a plant or piece of furniture in corners that tend to accumulate clutter, to improve the quality of the space (and deter more clutter).
- Place objects that signify abundance and wellbeing: Colorful art, a bowl full of fresh fruit and plants are excellent to have in your space. Plants improve energy flow because they provide a sense of growth and help us stay connected with the natural world. Objects that are colorful, whimsical or playful inspire creativity.
- Fill the space with natural light: Natural light dramatically improves workspaces, makes people feel more awake and ready to face the day, and keeps us tuned into the outside world. At Gettliffe Architecture, windows stretch across the north and south walls and help keep our energy levels replenished throughout every workday.
Investing time in organizing and purging your workspace is a vital task with long-term benefits. Consider transitioning into the New Year with a more organized and clean workspace, free of clutter and full of vibrance, setting you up for a peaceful 2016.
Gettliffe Architecture is a Boulder, Colorado architecture firm offering green design services from straw-bale homes to eco lodges around the globe. We believe that beautiful modern architectural design begins with careful consideration of earth, culture and community. Working with your ideas and vision, our team of green architects brings inspiring spaces to life that are kind to the planet and a pleasure to be in.